Thursday, October 14, 2010

Dragonfly and I

~ The Rose in the Ivy ~


~ The Smiling Dragonfly ~


~ Blue Dragonfly ~


As I walked the grounds of Garden's Keep to capture images of the final beauties of Fall, a small but vibrating noise reached my ears. Curious to find its source, I decided to follow the faint sound. Rounding the corner of Dragonfly Cottage, I approached the sunbathed greenroom, its west wall still neatly rolled back from summer to allow the heat of the sun to escape. Here the vibrating sound became quite clear though steadily lessening.

Stepping onto the greenroom floor I paused to listen. One minute, then two, and the sound came again, this time quite near. A quick t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t, as if a cellophane bag was beating against the walls of the greenroom. My gaze went directly to its source, and there against the transparent wall I beheld a very beautiful, blue and teal dragonfly, who was quickly tiring in his unsuccessful attemps to fly free of the strange room he had ventured into. As he settled on to the last remaining rose to rest, I carefully approached, camera poised, ready to collect images I had desired for quite some time.

After what seemed like many moments of blissful camera clicking, I realized this delicate creature may never find his way out. Ever so slowly, I extended a hand until my fingers touched his thin black legs. Cautiously he hoisted his exhausted little body up to clutch my hand, then very carefully we went together into the open air. Many moments more we stood together, he slowly vibrating his slightly tattered wings, I mesmerized by his beauty, as the golden sun slowly set. It was time for him to be free, and as night was approaching I carefully placed him high onto a secure branch at the edge of the wood, hoping he would be safe and well until morning light gave him warmth to fly off into the autumn sky.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, what amazing photos! and what a nice little ending to the story. I just love happy endings. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photo of the Dragonfly is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful story and what a beauty that little blue fellow was! :-)

    ~ Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dale Ann that was a very precious dragonfly you met and rescued! and ofcourse he trusted you implicitly and feared nothing, his small wings calling you to him!
    your writing, like you paintings, are magical :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yesterday I had a visit with a little red dragonfly in my yard. He was on a cedar branch and I asked him to crawl up on my finger. He did and we had a short talk before he flew away. I am making my oldest daughter a quilt with dragonflies in the fabric and will embroider a few blocks with them, also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning photos... dragonflies are such magical creatures!

    ReplyDelete